How I Learned to Stop Partying and Love the Bedtime

It’s been an eventful week! Glad I’m finally able to post.

I worked Monday and half of Tuesday, then I was off for the Fourth of July!

We started the celebration off with a baseball game on July 3. I was very excited about it — it would be my baby boy’s first game! Plus, after the game there would be a fireworks show — something I haven’t seen in quite some time! (Maybe not since my last trip to Disney World…?) We got J dressed up in his Braves outfit and all packed in the carseat… when it started pouring down rain. We postponed our trip to Turner Field and put J back to bed. He was exhausted — and that should have been our cue to stay in.

But we didn’t.

The rain finally let up, and on the ride to the stadium, I talked to D about how we shouldn’t use the baby as an excuse not to do things that we want to do. In this case, we already had tickets and plans to meet up with friends — and the baby will be fine. Right?

Baby’s first baseball game! (I accidentally wore Cubs blue…)

We finally got to the stadium (ugh — Atlanta traffic!), and I promptly strapped J into the Ergo. He was snuggled up and content, at least for the time being. We walked around for a long time with friends, everyone ooh-ing and ahh-ing over how adorable and well-behaved he was. He really is a pretty laid back kid for the most part. But he definitely was least happy when I took him out of the Ergo and passed him around. When he’s sleepy, he just wants his momma.

We finally made our way to our seats during the sixth inning. J continued to be well-behaved for a really long time, but he started to get fussier and fussier as the game got more heated (literally and figuratively…). And then Chipper hit his first five-hit game in a decade. The crowd went wild! And so did J. But not in a good way. (Note: I know nothing about baseball — but apparently this was a big deal.)

That was the end. Hysterical crying ensued (a rarity for this child, reserved only for his most over-tired states). We left the stadium as the game ended.

I was pretty bummed to be missing the fireworks, but I also knew that I had kept J out way past his bedtime. (And fireworks probably wouldn’t have been good for him, anyway.) At least the Braves won — 10-3! And we were able to see Chipper’s big moment.

We finally got home and put the baby to bed. He quickly fell fast asleep. He was all tuckered out. We had woken him up from his nap to leave, then he missed his 7:30 p.m. bedtime. He had been awake since about 6:30, and it was almost midnight. Quite a stretch for so little a baby!

Despite my spiel about not using the baby as an excuse, I’ve learned that we need to start considering his needs along with our own. When J was just a tiny little baby, we could take him anywhere and he would simply fall asleep. Not anymore. Now, he’s easily stimulated and distracted, and the loud noises and bright lights at the game did nothing to help him nap.

The next day was the Fourth of July, and at the last minute, my parents decided to make the trip to visit for the day. We had a great time — the girls (me, my sister, and my mom) went shopping, and then we joined the boys (my dad, husband, and son) and my sister’s roommate at their house for dinner. Homemade barbecue sauce with a slow-cooked pork shoulder, macaroni salad, baked beans, and Alton Brown’s guacamole (my favorite recipe!) with tortilla chips. And for dessert, S’s roommate made a delicious (what I like to call) Pina Colada pie (similar to this recipe). All delicious!

Playing with Aunt S

J was clearly getting tired, and despite my best efforts to get him to sleep on a blanket, he refused. Eventually, I gave up, and we all played a game. We had opted not to make the trek to see fireworks — definitely a good move considering the night before. But we were still out way past his bedtime. When I finally got J in bed, he crashed. It’s nice to have him go down so easily — but I also don’t like feeling like I’ve been depriving him of sleep.

Again, I probably should have read his signs a little better and insisted that we leave earlier. It’s just so hard to give up the chance to spend time with family and friends. I admit that I haven’t yet learned to “love” the bedtime exactly, but I’m definitely learning that it’s becoming more and more important for J’s sake that we honor it (to the best of our ability). Some day, he’ll be more flexible, but for now, we need to keep with his schedule, at least to some extent, and do what we can to make sure he’s in bed at a reasonable hour.

A rare treat — a bedtime meal from Daddy! (expressed breastmilk – still no formula!)

Tomorrow, D’s parents are coming — both sets of grandparents in one week! This is one very loved little boy.


2 thoughts on “How I Learned to Stop Partying and Love the Bedtime

  1. We learned this lesson last week when we were in Florida! Chris and I both have to remember that while she is really portable, she needs her little schedule. It is different from when she was a newborn and slept most of the time. But now she is so aware that she is just like J and if she gets off, she gets pretty mad about it!

    • Their growing awareness is a little bittersweet, don’t you agree? It’s fun that they’re becoming more like individual people, but sometimes I miss that flexibility.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s